Thursday, June 29, 2017

2017 BCC Rider Profile #4: Susan

I am no “professional” yet but I have really enjoyed getting back to riding. I am also discovering that there is a huge community of riders, which makes it feel great to be a part of.
What is your age, roughly speaking? 28 years old
What is your occupation or area of study? I work for the SOS Charities Program & Study Nonprofit Management at Bellevue University
How many years have you been getting around by bike? My husband bought me my first adult bike recently. Haven’t owed a bike since I was a kid, it was pink with training wheels and streamers. YIKES
What got you started riding your bike to get around (practical cycling)? I now have 3 step kids and 4 nephews who love riding bikes and they got me back into it. I also found it to be therapeutic to go for a nice slow ride on my own when I have a hard day. It’s healthy and inexpensive therapy.
What are some of the challenges you have experienced, and how have you overcome them? I am still “new” so I have to push myself to go further distances on my own. It can be a little scary to not have the security of a being inside a vehicle but it’s been a great experience so far.
What is your most frequent destination on your bike? I usually ride around Tumwater, along Little Rock road. Its smells amazing outside and the scenery is beautiful.
How did you hear about the Bicycle Commuter Challenge? Via email at work.
How many times have you participated in the Bicycle Commuter Challenge? Never, this is first time.
Describe your current average or usual trip (distance, terrain, urban/rural, etc.) Rural terrain which turns urban the longer I ride. My longest trip so far has been 5 miles.
How have you adapted your habits to make practical cycling work for you? I use opportunities to “run to the store real quick” to get on my bike and have some me time along the way. We needed buns for our BBQ this weekend so I got my husband on a bike with me and we rode to the store together. It turned a mundane task into a wonderful memory.
What are some of the benefits you have experienced from commuting by bike?  STRESS RELIEF. It’s very calming and relaxing for me. It’s something I can do alone or with my family so it’s versatile.
What is it that keeps you going, especially when the going is tough (weather, darkness, inertia, etc)? I always feel better after I ride. Rain or shine.

How do you choose your route (most direct, least traffic, most scenic, etc)? Because I am so new right now I am trying a little bit of everything. If I go left out of my driveway I’ll get nothing but rural scenery and if I go right then I hit the town roads. It depends on my mood.
What style of bike do you ride to commute? Schwinn Gateway
Any words of wisdom for the beginning practical cyclist? You tell me! Ha-ha. I would say, just get on and go but do your homework too. Know about safety and make sure the kiddos learn too!
What’s your favorite thing about practical cycling and/or the BCC? I feel better physically, emotionally and mentally.

No comments: