- Inexpensive LED bike lights are widely available (you don't need the fanciest one!)
- A front and rear LED light and batteries are much cheaper than an ER visit.
- In dark clothes and without a light, you are INVISIBLE to drivers. Not a problem for you? Wait until one turns left in front of you, or pulls out from a side street into your path.
- It is considerate of other users of the road to be visible, and your consideration benefits all cyclists.
- It's the Law. In Washington State you must have a white light on the front of your bike and a red rear reflector if you ride after dark.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Don't Be an "Invisibiker"!
The days are starting to get longer, but it is still dark early in the evening, and I still see un-lit cyclists riding in the dark every day(many in dark clothes as well). I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but if you or someone you know are cycling after dark without lights, please reconsider. It may be trendy, you may feel like you are flying under the radar, or may feel you just can't afford the expense or don't have time to get to the bike shop. Please just stop and think for a minute.