Friday, April 8, 2011

2011 BCC Rider Profile #2: Thay Nguyen

First Person to Register for 2011 BCC
3-time BCC Particiapnt Thay Nguyen
Rider Profile:
(Though he did not mention it in this e-interview, Thay Nguyen won prizes the last two years running for both the number of days and miles he rode in his age category)

What is your age? 62 yrs old
What is your occupation? Agency: Financial office – GA.
How many years have you been commuting by bike? 3 years.
How many times have you participated in the Bicycle Commuter Contest? 3 times.
How did you hear about the BCC? On the internet.
Describe your current average or usual commute (distance, terrain, urban/rural, etc.) Normal is 3 miles, one way.  In the summer, when going home, I often bike 8 – 10 miles.
What got you started bike commuting? To improve the environment and my health.
How have you adapted your habits to make bike commuting work for you? Nothing, I did not have to adapt my habits.  Biking is more convenient than taking the bus.
What are some of the benefits you have experienced from commuting by bike? I feel my health is better since I bike.  I sleep well at night.  The arthritis in my hand is gone.
What are some of the challenges you have experienced, and how have you overcome them? At the beginning I was afraid of the vehicles when I had to turn left in an intersection.  Now, I feel confident to do that.  Most of the cars yield for me.  Also I don’t have to go to the gym after work.  This is a way to save money, save time, but gain health.
What is it that keeps you going, especially when the going is tough (weather, darkness, inertia, etc)? Sometime it is dangerous when some cars don’t yield for me at the 4 way stop signs and when it is dark and raining, but to continue to have good health, I keep commuting to work by bike. 
How do you choose your route (most direct, least traffic, most scenic, etc)? I prefer to take the direct route when going to work because it is faster.  When going home, I take the trails because it is safer, but it is longer.
What style of bike do you ride to commute? I am using a road bike.
Any words of wisdom for the beginning commuter? At the first time, you may ride on the trails to test your health and your skills.  When you feel confident, you may ride on the roads.  Keep biking and you will feel your health is better.  In the summer, you may spend time riding on weekends.  You can also enjoy fresh air and the sightseeing.  View information online at intercitytransit.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice from Mr. Nguyen. I like these profiles. thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Good advice from Mr. Nguyen. I like these profiles. thanks for posting.