Friday, May 25, 2007

Rider Profile #1


Meet Elaine! (see bike in background!)

Age: 25-35

Occupation: Webmaster, TwinStar Credit Union

Years of Bike Commuting: 3


Current Average Commute Trip: 11 miles
Q. What got you started bike commuting? I started bike commuting for the exercise and to be able to enjoy the nice weather (I've never been much of a driver.)

Q.What keeps you pedaling? I keep at it because it's the easiest way for me to get exercise; it's a quicker commute than the bus; I get time to think and enjoy the weather on nice days; and it's a huge boost to my overall mental health. Once I get into the rhythm of it, then it's just part of my routine. Plus, it's fun to ride the really short distances to go out to lunch.

Q. Is the route you chose the safest, fastest, most fun, or the only route available?
I picked my current route for a combination of reasons--it's reasonably safe, because the Boulevard stretch is all bike lane and the rest is low-traffic; I find Yelm Highway, which is more direct, too intimidating with the heavy traffic and really dirty bike lane; it's one of the less hilly routes so I'm not totally exhausted when I'm done, and that stretch through the side streets is a lot of fun to ride. Once the Woodland Trail is further along, though, I'll probably switch to that and the Chehalis-Western trail, because the Chehalis-Western is one of my very favorite places to ride.

Q. What style of bike do you ride on your commutes? The unusual part of my bike commuting story is that I only learned how to ride a bicycle at all 3 years ago, at the age of 29. I had some childhood experiences that led to my never learning how to ride, and then once you're an adult, it's tricky to get started. My husband, who is an avid mountain biker, found an unusual bike that is designed for putting your feet down easily. I bought my Electra Townie three years ago next month, and quickly discovered that I love riding, just the feel of it, the speed, and so on.

Q. How long have you been a BCC participant, and what are the benifits of participating? This is my second year. I like participating in the BCC as a challenge to myself, and this year as a way to encourage other people at work to bike. This year I persuaded 5 other people to take part as a work team, which makes me feel pretty good. My small part for the environment. And my current employer is paying the registration fees as part of their commitment to employee health.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Great interview. I'd love to see more of these, it's nice to get to know our cycling community.