Tuesday, May 13, 2008

BCC REACHES NEW RECORD!

As of right now, we have over 1450 participants registered for the Bicycle Commuter Contest!


This is a feat worth recognizing, as our community has increased its participation by 45%! Last year set our previous record of 1005 participants. Since May 1st, I have seen more bikes on the roads than ever before. It is great pulling up to a stop light beside fellow cyclists and being able to say hello and chat about the day. We don't really get to do that in our cars...

I have heard a lot of great stories of how people are getting used to their routine of cycling instead of driving and making record times to work. Thanks for all of the support and input. I love hearing about your commutes!


My favorite part of my bike commute to and from work is being able to ride with a couple friends down the road, as if we were kids again riding bikes after school. A great alternative to sitting in my car by myself! Leave a comment and tell me your favorite part of your commute to work or school, or wherever! Keep up the good practice of bike commuting, we are contributing to a healthy environment!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of my commute is the ride home. It is very refreshing to pedal away the stress of another hectic day and arrive home with a fresh perspective.

Christopher said...

My favorite part of my bicycle commute is just getting to interact with the weather. If I drive, it feels like I can go the whole day without actually experiencing what's going on outside. On my bike I notice the wind, rain, sun, smells, sounds, and the tangible elements that give life its layers. I've grown to appreciate this about my commute.

Anonymous said...

Allow me to encapsulate my joy with a haiku.....

I like riding bikes
Commuting saves the planet
If not me then who

~ Anonymous

Dave said...

My wife and I wanted to participate in the BCC together. We both work right on bus lines, so we decided to start a "hybrid" commute. We ride together from home (in Tumwater) down to the Olympia Transit Center. From there, we put our bikes on the bus racks and ride the bus to our offices (she goes west and I go east).

We like commuting this way so much that we intend to keep doing it beyond the month of May! We only have to leave 10 minutes earlier than we normally would if we drove, so we really don't have to adjust our morning routine at all. It's convenient, it's healthy and it's fun!

Tom said...

By far my favorite part about riding to school/work/wherever is that I get there feeling energized (even if I'm tired). I find that I have a much more positive attitude after riding, and it gives me time to get ready for the day/evening.

One thing that puzzles me, however, is that I haven't seen anything here in Olympia about the national bike to work day, which is tomorrow (Friday, May 15th). As I don't have to work, I was hoping to help out with something (like an energizing station at the Decatur bike path, for example). Is there anything going on?

Anonymous said...

1450! That's incredible. Great job this year!

ThurstonBCC said...

Thanks for sharing all of your comments about your commutes! And, yes...1450 is great, thanks for the good word!

Tom, you actually stumped me. I do not know of any public events happening on National Bike to Work Day in Olympia! I do know that the BCC represents this day by doubling our bike commute miles on our mileage logs: another incentive to get out and ride tomorrow! There are also countless other programs going on at different worksites and schools for their employees and students.

Does anyone else know about anything going on tomorrow?

Tom said...

One of my favorite things about Bike to Word Day when I lived in San Francisco was the publicity of the entire thing. At all of the major bike routes, there were stations set up with food and drinks. Also, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition used it for membership drives, giving out totes and shirts for people who joined. Since I have the time this year (but no longer live in San Francisco) I was hoping to give something back.

ThurstonBCC said...

Hmm...I know what you mean, I used to live in San Diego and they too made a big deal out of the day, it was great. I guess Olympia has yet to get their biking infastructure to the level of those other cities, we also do not have a localized bike coalition that has the resources to promote like that. I think we are working on it though! Thanks for your input, Tom, and thanks for your willingness to help! See you out there on two wheels...