Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow in the forecast...

I grew up riding my bike to school everyday (five miles through the snow, barefoot - OK not really!) in northern Illinois regardless of the weather, so I became accustomed to biking in snow and ice at an early age. Now that I am older and more brittle (if not wiser) I have decided to try studded tires for frozen slippery weather. The tires I bought came with a recommendation to ride them on dry pavement for a few miles to seat the studs before putting them through snow and ice. So this morning, with only a little black ice here and there, but snow in the forecast for this afternoon, I thought this would be the perfect day to try them out. The tires were definitely slow and a bit squirrelly on dry pavement, and sounded like a scaled-down version of studded car tires on the road. We'll see if we actually get any snow and if so, how easily I get home tonight!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Studly!